Napier Grammar School, Napier Terrace

Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
A photograph of the main classroom at Napier Grammar School, built in 1869 on Napier Terrace in Napier. Pupils are pictured sitting on the grass in the foreground. In 1919 the building was moved to Chaucer Road and became known as Ormond Chapel.

Photographer, unknown.
Date, unknown. Possibly 1870s.
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Black and white photograph on card.
Height x Width: 189 x 238mm
H.B Art Gallery & Museum, Stamp, Stamped
First Grammar School in Napier on Napier Terrace later became the Ormond Chapel, Inscription, Handwritten
c1865, Inscription, Handwritten
This building was the main classroom of the Napier Grammar School built about 1869 by Mr William Marshall on 7 1/2 acres of land on Napier Terrace. Today the Central School occupies the site. In 1919 it was moved to a site opposite the cemetery being presented by Miss Fanny Ormond to the Cathedral Parish as a memorial to her nephew Alexander Ormond. Regular services are held here., Inscription, Typed
Subject person
Collection of Hawke’s Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1844
Other number(s)
1844, 82272


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.