About this object
A photographic postcard of the Pukeora Sanatorium, Waipukurau. The photograph is taken from an elevation looking over the complex which rests on Pukeora Hill above Waipukurau. The water tower is visible at the right of the image. The building at the left of the road in the foreground has been identified as the picture theatre.
The sanatorium opened in 1918 to assist soldiers with respiratory damage from World War One. It later served as a tuberculosis hospital and as a home for the disabled.
Black and white photographic postcard.
Height x Width: 86 x 138mm
Tourist Series of Real Photograph Post Card Published by Frank Duncan & Co., Ltd, Auckland, N.Z., Printed, Printed
Sanatorium Waipukurau N.Z. Tourist Series 3062, Printed, Printed
Collection of Hawke’s Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 7941
gifted by Pauline Schwabe
7941, m98/22, 81948