View of Napier
United Press Pictures
Post 03 Feb 1931
See full details
The photograph is thought to have been taken from Gladstone Road looking south west towards the Central Business District. The intersection of Hastings Street and Browning Street is located in the left foreground of the image. Prior to the earthquake, the site in the top right hand corner of the intersection was occupied by the premises of the Bank of New Zealand. Only part of the façade remains standing. To the right, the offices of the Diocese of Waiapu and the remains of St John's Cathedral are visible.
Other buildings that can be seen in the photograph include the premises of Blythes, Dalgety's, and the Hawke's Bay Motor Company Limited. Smoke appears to rise from several buildings.
Photographer, United Press Pictures.