Napier looking towards Marine Parade from Tiffen Park

Maker
Hurst, Arthur Bendigo
Production date
Post 03 Feb 1931
Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
The photograph shows the Napier Central Business District looking towards Marine Parade from Tiffen Park.

Tennyson Street can be seen running across the photograph in the foreground and behind it is Emerson Street. Hildebrandt's building (J A Louis Hay, architect) can be seen on the corner of Tennyson and Dalton Streets followed by the Hawke's Bay Building & Investment Society's new building on Tennyson Street. Next to the empty section is McCulloch, Butler & Spence's premises (D B Frame and E A Williams, architects) followed by the Halsbury Chambers (J A Louis Hay, architect).

A wall from St Paul's Presbyterian Church (J A Louis Hay, architect), which was destroyed in the earthquake, is visible on the lower right hand side of the photograph. Beside it is the temporary Presbyterian Church.

There is evidence of rebuilding occurring after the 1931 Hawke's Bay earthquake.

Photographer, A B Hurst.
Production date
Post 03 Feb 1931
Production period
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Black and white photograph glued to the cardboard page of a photograph album.
Measurements
Height x Width: 157 x 205mm
Height x Width: 205 x 260mm
Signature/Inscription
y87/1/00, Inscription, Handwritten
Subject period
Subject date
Post 03 Feb 1931
Caption
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 15619
Credit Line
gifted by Mrs McKenzie
Other number(s)
m82/25 a, Album 60, 15619, 78925

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.