Tanner Bros Ltd
See full details
The building in the foreground of the image is Stokes Ward, the men's surgical ward. The building behind this is thought to be the doctors' quarters and administrative offices. Beyond this building the Shrimpton Children's Ward is visible on the corner. The single storey buildings are the women's and then the men's wards.
The two storey building on the left edge of the photograph is likely the old Nurses' Home. Beyond this the site of the New Nurses' Home in the Spanish Mission style is visible on the corner of Sixty-Fifth Street.
There are nurses in uniform standing on the steps of the administrative offices. There are people visible walking down the street and a man seated on a bench. Another pedestrian is visible in the far left foreground of the image.
The photograph can be dated between, December 1926, when the new Nurses' Home was officially opened, and 1931, when most of the hospital buildings were damaged in the Hawke's Bay earthquake.