About this object
View of Clive Square from Napier Hill looking towards Cape Kidnappers, possibly taken in the early 1880s. On the extreme left of the image, the Provincial Hotel stands on the corner of Clive Square East and Emerson Street. Further along Clive Square East are the Trinity Methodist Church and W Amner’s Coal and Fire Wood Depot. In the foreground of the photograph is Clive Square. The south end of Clive Square is surrounded by a picket fence (built 1886). Behind Clive Square is the intersection of Dickens Street and Munroe Street. Munroe Street is lined with young trees.
The roof of Main School is visible in the bottom left hand corner of the photograph. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance.
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Photograph: Height x Width: 186 x 230mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
14, Inscription, Handwritten
Neg size 20x25 cm Box 151, Inscription, Handwritten
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1914
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1914, 77574