About this object
View of Napier from Napier Hill looking south, possibly taken in the late 1880s. In the foreground is Tennyson Street. On the extreme right of the image, Tennyson Street intersects with Clive Square East. Among those buildings visible along Clive Square East are the Provincial Hotel and the Trinity Methodist Church (built 1876). To the right of Clive Square East is Clive Square. The Square is surrounded by white picket fence (built 1886). The premises of Davidson Irvine and Company are visible behind Clive Square.
The lagoon is visible on the right side of the image.
Photographer, Burton Bros.
Burton Brothers; 1868; 1916
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Photograph: Height x Width: 134 x 189mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
13, Inscription, Handwritten
same as No. 120, Inscription, Handwritten
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1913
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1913, 77572