View of Napier from Bluff Hill

Maker
Valentine & Sons Limited
Production date
1878
Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
View of Napier looking south from Bluff Hill towards Awatoto thought to have been taken in 1878. Byron Street is visible at the base of Bluff Hill. Among the buildings that are visible along Byron Street are the premises of Large and Townley. The Napier Courthouse (completed 1875) is visible at the intersection of Browning Street and Marine Parade. The Athenaeum (built 1865, with extensions added in 1873 and 1878) stands on the corner of Browning Street and Herschell Street. The 1878 extension, known as the Conversation Room, is in the process of being constructed. Behind the museum, the Borough Council Chambers (built 1874) and the Fire Engine Station are located on Herschell Street. Among the other buildings that are visible along Browning Street are W Cato’s Office and Sample Room, the premises of R Hannah and Company, the Bank of New Zealand, and the Post Office.

The shallow lagoon is visible on the right side of the image. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance.

A label in the front of the album in which this photograph is located reads: Photographed by Valentine & Sons.
Production date
1878
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Measurements
Photograph: Height x Width: 156 x 205mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
Signature/Inscription
Compare 1665 on page 58 also 2086 on page 57, Inscription, Handwritten
negative - box 129, Inscription, Handwritten
4, Inscription, Handwritten
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
Subject period
Subject date
1878
Credit Line
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
Other number(s)
56/28, Album 12, 1897 a, 77504
Accession number
56/28

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.