About this object
View of Napier looking south from Bluff Hill towards Awatoto thought to have been taken in the late 1870s or early 1880s. The roof of the Napier Courthouse (designed by William Henry Clayton, completed 1875) is visible on the extreme left of the image. The Athenaeum (built 1865, with extensions added in 1873 and 1878) stands on the corner of Browning Street and Herschell Street. At the end of Herschell Street are the Borough Council Chambers (built 1874) and the Fire Engine Station. The Bank of New Zealand and the Post Office stand at the intersection of Browning Street and Hastings Street. Among the other streets that are visible are Tennyson Street, Emerson Street and Dickens Street.
The shallow lagoon is visible on the right side of the image. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance.
A label in the front of the album in which this photograph is located reads: Photographed by Valentine & Sons.
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Photograph: Height x Width: 105 x 158mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
Compare nos 2086 & 8 on page 57, Inscription, Handwritten
Same as 347 Album 2, Inscription, Handwritten
1897 & 1907 make up a larger picture see 347 in Album 2, Inscription, Handwritten
4, Inscription, Handwritten
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
Napier Post Office; 28 Jul 1930
Napier Volunteer Fire Brigade; Oct 1876
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1897 b
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1897 b, 77498