About this object
View of Napier looking south from Bluff Hill towards Awatoto taken in the late 1870s. At the base of Bluff Hill is the intersection of Byron Street and Browning Street. The Napier Courthouse (designed by William Henry Clayton, completed 1875), the Athenaeum (built 1865, reading room added 1873), and the premises of the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company are visible along Browning Street. Large and Townley’s Furniture Showrooms are located on the corner of Browning Street and Herschell Street. The Bank of New Zealand and the Post Office stand at the intersection of Browning Street and Hastings Street. To the right, St John’s Church (1862) is located at the base of Napier Hill. This building is partly obscured by trees. The Trinity Methodist Church is visible in the distance behind St John’s. Tennyson Street, Emerson Street and Dickens Street are also visible. The Fire Engine Station is located along Marine Parade.
The shallow lagoon is visible on the right side of the image. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance.
A label in the front of the album in which this photograph is located reads: Photographed by Valentine & Sons.
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Photograph: Height x Width: 193 x 248mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
Shows small buildings at corner of Byron St and Browning St, Inscription, Handwritten
duplicate of 2069, Inscription, Handwritten
1879 yr, Inscription, Handwritten
3, Inscription, Handwritten
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
Napier 24th Nov 1879, Inscription, Engraved
St John's Anglican Cathedral
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
Napier Post Office; 28 Jul 1930
The South British Insurance Co. Ltd
Napier Volunteer Fire Brigade; Oct 1876
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1896
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1896, 77495