About this object
View of Napier looking south from Bluff Hill towards Awatoto thought to have been taken around 1878. At the base of Bluff Hill is the intersection of Byron Street and Browning Street. The Napier Courthouse (designed by William Henry Clayton, completed 1875), the Athenaeum (built 1865, reading room added 1873), and the premises of the South British Fire and Marine Insurance Company are visible along Browning Street. Large and Townley’s Furniture Showrooms are located on the corner of Browning Street and Herschell Street. The Bank of New Zealand and the Post Office stand at the intersection of Browning Street and Hastings Street. To the right, St John’s Church (1862) is located at the base of Napier Hill. This building is partly obscured by trees. The Trinity Methodist Church is visible in the distance behind St John’s. Tennyson Street, Emerson Street and Dickens Street are also visible.
The shallow lagoon is visible on the right side of the image. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance.
A label in the front of the album in which this photograph is located reads: Photographed by Valentine & Sons.
Black and white photograph mounted in an album.
Photograph: Height x Width: 159 x 216mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
This photograph shows cells and other small buildings at back of courthouse, so presumably a little later than almost similar photo, Inscription, Handwritten
duplicate of 2533, Inscription, Handwritten
compare 1665 on page 58, Inscription, Handwritten
same as 1138 Album 5, Inscription, Handwritten
Date 1878, Inscription, Handwritten
3, Inscription, Handwritten
C. D. Cornford 56/28, Stamp, Stamped
St John's Anglican Cathedral
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
Napier Post Office; 28 Jul 1930
The South British Insurance Co. Ltd
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1895
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1895, 77485