About this object
View of Napier from Bluff Hill thought to have been taken in 1876. In the foreground, two young boys lie in the grass on the side of Bluff Hill. At the base of Bluff Hill is the intersection of Byron Street and Browning Street. The Napier Courthouse (designed by William Henry Clayton, completed 1875) and the Athenaeum (built 1865, reading room added 1873) are visible along Browning Street. The Bank of New Zealand is located on the corner of Browning Street and Hastings Street. To the right, St John’s Church (1862) is located at the base of Napier Hill. Among the other buildings visible along Hastings Street are the Union Bank of Australia and the Criterion Hotel (established 1874).
The Inner Harbour is visible in the distance on the right of the image. Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance on the extreme left of the image.
A label in the front of the album in which this photograph is located reads: Photographed by Valentine & Sons.
Black and white photograph.
Photograph: Height x Width: 157 x 242mm
Album: Height x Width x Depth/Length: 401 x 330 x 55mm
1876 Dated from museum's other copy, Inscription, Handwritten
1876 or 1874 see No. 2068
Dated from museum's other copy, Inscription, Handwritten
Compare 1665 on page 58, Inscription, Handwritten
Neg size 21 x 16 cm, Inscription, Handwritten
2, Inscription, Handwritten
y88/6/4, Old Collection Information
St John's Anglican Cathedral
from the estate of Mr C D Cornford
56/28, Album 12, 1894, 77393