Marine Parade, Napier

Maker
Trustrum, E
Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
Hand coloured photograph of Marine Parade taken from the roof of the Municipal Baths. In the foreground two men tend to the lawns. A lawn mower is located to their right. Further along the esplanade are the Tom Parker Fountain (1936), the Veronica Sunbay (designed by J T Watson, built 1934), the Kirk Sundial (designed by J A Louis Hay), the Skating Rink, the Colonnade (designed by J T Watson, built 1936-39), and the Soundshell (designed by J T Watson, built 1935).

Among the buildings that are visible behind the trees on the right are the Napier Courthouse (designed by William Henry Clayton, completed 1875), the Borough Council Chambers (built 1874), and the Masonic Hotel (designed by Prouse & Wilson, completed 1932). The T & G Building designed by Atkin & Mitchell (completed 1936-37) is visible on the corner of Emerson Street and Marine Parade. Mature Norfolk Island Pines, streetlights and park benches line the seaward side of Marine Parade. Two young pines surrounded by tree guards have been planted near the courthouse.

Photographer, E Trustrum.
Date unknown.
Maker
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Hand-coloured black and white photograph on card.
Measurements
Height x Width: 211 x 316mm
Signature/Inscription
Photo by E, Trustrum, Stamp, Stamp
Subject date
Post 1939?
Caption
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 12424
Other number(s)
12424, 76833

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.