About this object
View of Napier from Napier Hill. On the left side of the photograph, the Provincial Hotel stands on the corner of Clive Square East and Emerson Street. The balcony of the hotel is filled with people. (This places the date around the late 1920s or 1930 as the rebuilt hotel - following the 1931 earthquake - did not have a balcony). Further people line Emerson Street. Further along Clive Square East are the premises of Chas Johnston (Fruiterer) and the Trinity Methodist Church (built 1876). In the distance, St Patrick’s Church (designed by Robert Lamb, built 1894) stands on the corner of Dickens Street and Munroe Street.
On the left side of the photograph is Memorial Square. The cenotaph (built 1921) stands in the centre of the square. To the right is the Mother’s Rest, designed by Napier architect Louis Hay in 1925. Gardens planted with young palm trees and a low limestone wall run around the perimeter of the square. Immediately behind Memorial Square is Clive Square. Mature trees run around the perimeter of the square. To the right of Clive Square are Main School and a garage. Tennyson Street is visible on the extreme right of the image.
Photographer, Robert Goodger.
Robert William Goodger; 20 Feb 1865; 12 Feb 1957
Panoramic black and white photograph.
Height x Width: 91 x 302mm
3/9, Inscription, Handwritten
y94/10-7c, Old Collection Information, Handwritten
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
St Patrick's Catholic Church
Napier Central School; 1918
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 8710
gifted by Lois Goodger
m93/19, 8710, 76530