View of Napier

Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
View of Napier from Napier Hill looking towards the sea. In the foreground, Carlyle Street intersects with Clive Square West. Among the buildings that are visible along Carlyle Street are the Napier Congregational Church and Main School. To the left of Main School is Clive Square. In the south end of Clive Square stands the band rotunda flanked by two canon. Both the north and south sections of the square are surrounded by a picket fence. Among the buildings that are visible along Clive Square East are the Trinity Methodist Church (built 1876) and W Amner’s Coal and Fire Wood Depot. Along Dickens Street, the premises of J Alexander (Steam Biscuit Manufacturer) and the Forester’s Hall are visible. To the right of Clive Square, Munroe Street runs away from the camera. Tall trees line this street. Behind these trees to the left, the spire of St Patrick's is visible.

Cape Kidnappers is visible in the distance on the extreme right of the image.

Photographer, unknown.
Date unknown.
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Black and white photograph.
Measurements
Height x Width: 148 x 201mm
Signature/Inscription
Box 8, Inscription, Handwritten
H.B. Art Gallery and Museum, Stamp, Stamp
Subject date
1894-1904
Caption
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 3728
Credit Line
gifted by Miss Shiela Williams
Other number(s)
m67/36, 3728, 76302

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.