About this object
View of Napier taken in the vicinity of St Paul's Presbyterian Church looking towards the Inner Harbour. Dalton Street runs away from the camera towards the left, while Emerson Street and Tennyson Street run through the mid foreground roughly horizontal to the picture plane. Located at the intersection of Dalton and Emerson Streets is the Star Hotel, outside which a horse and cart waits. In the foreground can be seen the steeple of the first St Paul’s church. Immediately above the steeple of St Paul’s can be seen the Trinity Methodist Church, built in 1876, which faces away from the camera towards Clive Square. A mix of commercial and residential buildings surrounds these local landmarks.
Photographer, Burton Bros.
Burton Brothers; 1868; 1916
Black and white photograph mounted on card.
Photograph: Height x Width: 148 x 211mm
Card: Height x Width: 191 x 263mm
Box 6, Inscription, Handwritten
St Paul's Presbyterian Church; 1858
Trinity Methodist Church; Jan 1876
Current rights code
Out of copyright
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, 1129
gifted by Dr H M Wilson
m52/2, 1129, 75484