Cornwall Park, Hastings

Maker
Williams, David Godfrey
Production date
Circa 1930
Current rights
Public Domain
See full details

Object detail

About this object
Cornwall Park, Hastings.
Dave Williams, photographer.
Shows a single swan swimming under a brick bridge with several tennis courts in the distance, laid out in 1905 and first played upon in 1906 by the Hastings Lawn Tennis Club, then subsequently the Hastings Park Tennis Club. The pavilion was for the tennis club members, but it and the courts have since been removed.
Production date
Circa 1930
Production period
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Black & white photograph. Glued to cardboard.
Measurements
Height x Width: 82 x 105mm
Subject period
Subject date
Circa 1930
Caption
Collection of Hawke's Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, W1 (d)
Credit Line
gifted by H J Williams
Other number(s)
W1 (d), 70972

Share

Public comments

This is a photo of the Hastings Lawn Tennis Club, being 6 courts in Cornwall Park, laid out in 1905 and played upon in 1906. They were there in 1936 when the P.A.F. did the first aerial survey covering Hastings, but not there in 1947. Likely the Whitehead Road courts superseded the Cornwall Park courts. The pavilion is for the tennis club members. There are just 3 known and different photos of this aspect. See Matthew Wright's book 'Town and Country - The history of Hastings and district' p269

- Wayne Collins on 28-02-2021 04:04:31

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.