Map, Napier County districts, Hawke's Bay

Maker
Hamel & Ferguson Printers
Rochfort, James
Lyndon, Edward
Production date
Circa 1880

Object detail

Brief Description
Map of Napier County districts, Hawke's Bay.

Shows land lots, area sizes, rivers, district boundaries, railway lines around the Ahuriri Harbour, Scinde Island, Puketapu district, Omarunui block, at the Northern end, Ngaruroro River, Ngatarawa No4, Te - Awa - O - Te - Atua of 5,070 acres at the west side and the Tukituki River, Mangateretere East - 2,047 acres, Te Mata district to the south. Western Spit - Westshore, the bar to the entrance of the inner harbour entrance and Eastern Spit - Ahuriri are noted bounding Gough Island.

Te - Whare - O - Maraenui of 1,788 acres, lays between the the Tutaekuri River out flow and Awatoto, Beach Road. Tareha - 10 acres is noted bordering the Tutaekuri River, close to Te - Whare - O - Maraenui.

Taradale has been subdivided into about 30 blocks of approximately 50 to 70 acres each, bordering the Tutaekuri River and extending out to Salt Water Creek outlet by Balmoral at the harbour's edge. C Mitchell has a parcel of land - 19 acres, bordering the Tutaekuri River, near Pukeroa and the racecourse, which in turn is near Waitangi Creek. A toll gate is noted at Awatoto. The road from Taradale to Scinde Island with a bridge crossing the harbour is noted as joining Scinde Island 1 mile 29 chains from the Post Office.

J B Brathwaite occupies a large block of land bordering the Omarunui block and Repo - Ki - Te - Roto - Roa Stream, and other land of his is around Lake Roto Hare - totalling 3,573 acres. The Omaku Mill is nearby.
R D Maney has land on the Waipiropiro block of 1,197 acres. AH & W Russell own 2 large blocks bordering the Waitio River and J D Ormond's land. J G Gordon has land bordering A H & W Russell's land. J N Williams is to the other side of J D Ormond's land, consisting of 2,260 acres. His land borders the Ohiwia Stream.

S Roe - 300 acres, M Groome, G Hamilton, J Boyle and F Hicks are land occupiers in a small rural area of approximately 700 acres in the area that became Hastings. The Makirikiri Stream runs through some of their properties. Thomas Tanner owns land bordering Hastings and the Te Mangapouri Stream. Karamu Pā is noted on the Karamu Reserve, next to the Ngaruroro River roughly South East of the railway line and Hastings.

J Chambers is a land owner on block 9, Te Mata District, T P Russell and R Foster have land in Havelock North, bordering Middle Road. R D Mancy has land on Puri Whariki at the confluence of the Te Awahou Stream and the Tutae - kuri - Wai - Mate Stream.
Production date
Circa 1880
Production place
Production period
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Printed on paper backed with linen, with black ink.
Measurements
Height x Width: 775 x 910mm
Subject date
Circa 1880
Credit line
gifted by R G Montgomery
Other number(s)
5284, m58/72, 64846

Share

Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.