Map, Hawke's Bay, 1889
Coulls, Culling & Co
Bristed, R B
Compiled and drawn from official sources by R B Bristed, Surveyor.
Four miles to the inch.
Shows boundaries of provinces, Government purchases, townships, lands ceded to the Government by Natives from Mahia, Wairoa, Mohaka at the Northern end, Taupo Lake, Kaimanawa Ranges to the West and Napier, Kaikora, Waipukurau and Woodville East and Southwards.
Crowther's Hotel is located just before Opepe bordering the Rangitikei River on the Taupo road. J Anderson has a large land block - 79,800 acres at Tarawera, near Te Haroto. A Pai Mārire settlement was noted in an earlier map as being next to the Hinemaiai River, but this map notes the position as being closer to the Waipehu Stream, near Taupo.
J Hunter Brown owns land in the Clyde district at Here Here Tau, near the Whakaki Lagoon. R S Miller owns two land blocks bordering the Esk River and the Taupo road and the breakwater at Napier is noted at Scinde Island. J Heslop has land bordering Puketapu, N E Beamish owns 78,890 acres at Otamauri - Whana Whana, bordering the Otamauri Stream.
A land block of 4,200 acres is noted as being granted to the Bishop of Wellington at Pukehou, South of Te Aute and the Reverend S Williams has a large land block bordering Te Aute and Lake Poukawa. G D Hamilton has land at Mangatoro, bordering the Mangatoro Stream.