Map, Province of Hawke's Bay

Production date
1859

See full details

Details


About this object
Map of the Province of Hawke's Bay or late district of Ahuriri, was drawn in 1859.
Scale is 2 miles to the inch.

The map shows native reserves, land acquired by the Government, boundary of runs, boundaries of purchases, roads and tracks from the Mohaka block - 85,700 acres around Putorino and Waikare, Port Napier, Kidnapper block, Hapuku block, Ruataniwha, Porongahau block and Seventy Mile Bush at the Southern end by Wangahu, Cape Turnagain and the Mangawhero Stream.

Run holders names include:
D Gollan - Land owner South East of Waipukurau, near the Tangi Te Poro Stream.
J N Northwood - Near Oeroa, West of Blackhead.
E Collins - Borders the river Alina or Tukituki River in the Hapuku block.
J Monteith - Land owner on the Waipukurau County border, around the Maunga Rahi Kahi near Oero, which is East of the Tukituki River.
W Couper - Land owner around Arama's block, Hawea and bordering the Tukituki River West of Waimarama.
J Chambers - Borders W Couper to the South and G Moore to the North, by the Tukituki River.
H S Tiffen - Land owner around the Hapuku block, near Roto Atera and the Kai Koura track.
A St Hill - Land owner at Te Awanga, bordering the Kidnapper block and the Tukituki River.
Rhodes - Has the land on Cape Kidnappers peninsula.
H R Russell - Neighbours D Gollan and A Newman, South of Hatuma Lake.
D McLean - Land owner near Aorangi which is next to Huranga O Te Pangi and the Aroha road/track.
T P Russell - Land owner near Maharakeke, bordering Tukituki River and Lake Hatuma.
A Alexander - Borders Mangaone River, Tutaekuri River in the Puketapu area.
William Villiers - Land owner West of the Esk River, bordering the Mangaone River and J C Carter, North West of Port Ahuriri.
W Ogilvy - Land owner on the other side of the Mangaone River between the Waiau and Wai Iti or Mangahouhou River.
H B Sealey - Land owner on the Ahuriri block bordering the Mangaone River.

The roads are paper roads. The map has no geodetic framework so it is inaccurate in scale and position inland.
Lithographed in sections in Wellington and mounted in one piece. It is the first map of Hawke's Bay to be published and printed in New Zealand. It was compiled from the latest surveys and lithographed by C M Igglesden and E Anderson, Surveyors, Wellington.
Production period
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Wooden frame; glass cover; printed on paper with black and coloured ink.
Measurements
Height x Width: 1500 x 685mm
Signature/Inscription
F W Williams 3 Hukarere Road, Napier, Inscription, Handwritten
Subject period
Subject date
1859
Display location
Current rights
Caption
Collection of Hawke’s Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, [52202]
Collection of Hawke’s Bay Museums Trust, Ruawharo Tā-ū-rangi, [52202]
Credit line
gifted by PGG Wrightson Ltd
Other number(s)
m2008/50/1, 6594, 52202

Related objects

 Comments
Do you know something about this object? We'd love to hear from you if you have information that would help add to the history on this object.


Be the first to comment.