Hymenophyllum demissum, Polypodium serpens, Asplenium falcatum, Polypodium pustulatum, Aspidium hispidum, Asplenium obtusatum
Hetley, Georgina Burne
See full details
1. Hymenophyllum demissum also known as drooping filmy fern, irirangi and piripiri. The plant is depicted as a flimsy drooping pale grass green fern.
2. Polypodium serpens. The plant has similar features to Pyrrosia eleagnifolia (Bory) Hovenkamp although it is uncertain exactly what fern is depicted in the painting. The plant is depicted as a single narrow green fern with several brown circles known as sori.
3. Asplenium falcatum also known as sickle spleenwort. The plant is depicted as a dark green glossy frond with slightly serrated edges on the leaflets.
4. Polypodium pustulatum also known as Microsorum scandens, fragrant fern and mokimoki. The plant is depicted as a single green juvenile frond.
5. Aspidium hispidum also known as Lastreopsis hispida, hair fern and tuakura. The plant is depicted as a deep green fern with finely divided fronds. It has small light brown circles known as sori.
6. Asplenium obtusatum also known as Asplenium lyallii and lyall's spleenwort. The plant is depicted as three glossy deep green-grey fronds.
Height x Width: 458 x 358mm