Diary, Nina Hill

Hill, Nina Norton
Production date

Object detail

Brief Description
Nina Tanner married Dudley Hill on Thursday 14 September 1905. They moved to Fernhill on 24 July 1907. Fernhill House was built between 1887 and 1888 on what was then Fernhill Station owned by Kenrick Jones Hill. James Gillespie Gordon and Kenrick Hill had been in partnership in the early 1860s. Hill bought out Gordon's share of the Fernhill block and built the present house. The Hill family was living at the first Clifton Station at the time, until, after numerous protracted sorties to settle matters at Fernhill, Elizabeth Anne Hill, wife of Kenrick, finally wrote in her diary on 21 August 1888: Got to Fernhill at 8 p.m., drove there in Jack's trap (House 1). They had two children, Kathleen and Dudley.

After the death of Kenrick in the early 1900s, his son Dudley, married to Nina Tanner, built an east wing (House 2) for his mother. On her death this was incorporated with the main house. Dudley had two sons, Rowan and Vyvyan and daughter Iole, the second child. Rowan was killed in the War in 1942 and Vyv married Elizabeth Harvey in 1944. In 1946 work was begun on altering the house, removing part of the east wing and modernising the interior (House 3). There are three children, daughters Rowan, Wendy and son Peter. In 1983 Vyv retired and Peter with wife Marcia Tuohy took over the property. They have three sons, Denver, Marcel and Jesse, the fifth generation to live in Fernhill House. Taken from a card showing the drawing of the three houses.
Production date
Production period
Production technique
Media/Materials description
Hard cover - brown card; handwritten and printed.
Height x Width: 124 x 84mm
Subject period
Subject date
Credit line
gifted by Mrs Elisabeth hill
Other number(s)
10018, 920 Hil, 23746


Public comments

Be the first to comment on this object record.

Google reCaptchaThis site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.